Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Looking back and looking ahead

NC&StL XM-31 kitbash - model and prototype
2019 has been a year of change for me. The move to Brooklyn has been a good thing for me, both professionally and personally. However, it also meant a lot of weekends spent shuttling back and forth to and from Connecticut. I did not have nearly the amount of down time (= modeling time) as I had hoped. Within the last couple months, things have mostly stabilized and I now have a good working area set up and am able to regularly spend some time with modeling projects again.

I am not a huge believer in New Year's resolutions. However, I do believe that taking the time to put something down in writing makes it a lot more likely to happen. So, as an exercise in that philosophy, I have assembled a list of railroad projects to accomplish in 2020. Without further ado, here they are:




Layout

I will have a more expansive post on this in early 2020, but my goals are simple and are also quite modest. The drawing above illustrates the footprint and a smattering of industries/structures that need to be located. At this point, I do have a clean slate, with the benchwork up and insulation foamboard in place.
  • Identify the optimal orientation of structures to utilize the available space
  • Create a trackplan to support
  • Lay the track
  • Complete at least three structures
Walter E. Frost, Vancouver, BC

Freight cars

This is a more ambitious list (several of the things that I list to complete as kits are things where I created patterns awhile ago and then they have languished.) Complete the following (a number of these have appeared in my series of kitbashing clinics presented within the last two years; clicking here will take you to all of my clinic files, including the kitbash subject matter):
  • NC&StL XM-31 (kitbash)
  • FGEX 10800-series rebuild (scratchbash)
  • Oscar Mayer (NX) reefer (kitbash)
  • RF&P USRA 50-ton box car (modified Tichy)
  • PFE R-40-4 (Tichy)
  • ATSF Bx-34 AAR Duryea underframe box car (parts offering)
  • CNW PS-1 auto car (patterns and kit)
  • SAL AF-4 PS-1 auto car (modified parts/kitbash)
  • CN&L single sheathed box car (patterns and kit; prototype photo above)
  • CV 40000-series single sheathed box car (patterns and kit)
  • MILW 271500-series 50' single sheathed auto car (patterns and kit)
  • SP A-50-11 auto car (patterns and kit)
  • SP A-50-15 auto car (modified parts/kitbash)
  • SP A-50-17 auto car (modified parts/kitbash)
  • PFE plywood sided R-30-9 (scratchbuilt side pattern - 2020 St. Louis RPM project car)
  • CGW 1937 AAR box car (2017 Chicagoland RPM parts set)
  • GM&O GSC flat car (modified Exactrail)
  • LS&I PS-1 box car (modified Kadee)
  • NKP and MSC 12-panel PS-1 box cars (modified Kadee)
There are other freight car projects, but this is more than enough to get started and several I am not prepared to discuss yet, let alone list here...


American Car & Foundry photo

Decals

Publishing

  • Prototype Railroad Modeling, Volume Five
  • Steam Era Freight Cars Reference Manual, Volume Four: Gondolas (this is a reach goal!)

Time to get busy...

2 comments:

  1. Quite the ambitious year you have planned and I know we all look forward to seeing you check off the entire list. I also look forward to seeing some pictures of your layout as it progresses. I would like to build something along similar lines and would like to see more on your benchwork construction. Here's to a great 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a list.
    Let me prioritize it for you.
    Item #1 - CV 40000 series boxcar
    Item #2 through whatever.... All that other stuff...

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome!