Tuesday, May 31, 2022

A really good tool


Like any hobbyist, I am a bit of a tool freak/geek, especially when the tool I am using is lacking. I have been using a Paasche Air Eraser for years and for the same amount of time have been cursing its tiny capacity (volume of abrasive it can hold) and ability to constantly clog. I had been vowing to fix that situation and I did so within the past couple years. I am here to report the results. Enter the MicroEtcher ER Sandblaster. Yes, full disclosure... it's relatively expensive. However, it performs. It's designed for professional use by dentists and I can register zero complaints. It holds a decent amount of abrasive (enough to blast a couple cars, trucks, etc.) That's the entire post. I love it and if you are a blaster of models prior to painting, you'll love it too.

The "business" end of the etcher

Side note: I also ordered this California Air Tools compressor to run the sandblaster. It is sooooooo much quieter than the loud annoying Campbell Hausfeld compressor I had been using. Again, another satisfying purchase.

The various connectors to get from the compressor to the etcher

The fine print: it took me several tries (orders!) from McMaster-Carr to get the various combinations of linkages to connect the tiny hose of the etcher to the rather large quick connect of the compressor. What you see is one main male quick connector, plus three "reducers" to get to the hose. If you're really interested, I can scour my order history and advise the various parts. Leave a comment to inquire and I can answer here....

One other note: I highly recommend limiting your abrasive to 240 grit or smaller (larger grit number) aluminum oxide. This etcher is a little more aggressive than the Paasche tool and can remove material quickly if you're not careful and paying attention. That said, I've used it on delicate parts (Kadee PS-1 ladders) with no ill results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome!