Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Pennsylvania Railroad X43A Model Complete


I recently completed the pilot model for the PRR X43A box car (as built and Shadow Keystone repaint models.) They were postwar AAR-design box cars, but with welded sides and underframe. More info about the prototypes can be found in a previous post via this link. The models capture all of the details of the prototypes, down to the random waviness of the side panels ("oil canning") although sadly that very nice subtle detail doesn't render well photographically on the finished model. I am biased, but this is one of my favorite projects ever. I am quite pleased with the finished model!

My model represents a 22 month old car so weathering was minimal. I added a very dilute overall wash of titanium white artists' oil and a little wash of burnt sienna artists' oil around the side sills and underframe. As some of you will no doubt inquire, the 50s PRR freight car color is a mix of Tamiya paints: Red (60%), Hull Red (~10-15%), Red Brown (~5%), and Orange (20-25%). The chalk marks are from National Scale Car set D135 (note that if they show as out of stock, he probably needs to pack more.) 



These were unusual (for Pennsy) in that the roofs of the cars were coated with black car cement. I used Tamiya flat black for the roof and trucks.



The underframe components were welded, in addition to the sides. The crossbearers, crossties, and brake arrangement all faithfully follow the Pennsy's cars.



These kits also feature Apex Tri-Lok running boards and brake steps sourced from a new commercial etcher. The grid material is "taller" than "wider" and with the correct number of strips, exactly as on the prototype.

All-in-all, I am thrilled with how this car replicates the details of the prototype. On to the Central of Georgia Emergency box car kits...

1 comment:

Comments always welcome!