Friday, July 15, 2022

Maine Central PS-1 Box Car

 

The side sill support spanning the body bolsters was not original

In my post about the BAR RS-4 reefer that I saw in Machias, Maine, I alluded to a Maine Central PS-1. This post highlights some of the details of that car. The Maine Central rostered three groups of forty-foot PS-1s: an early-style group from 1947, car nos. 6500-6749 and a later-style group built in 1951, series 8000-8249, both with seven-foot door openings and series 8400-8549 with eight-foot door openings, built in 1961 [post edited to reflect this based upon comments submitted below - thank you.] The car shown here is from that last group. I took several photos of details that I want to be sure to have for modeling purposes. Those images follow.

I took several photos of the interesting, integral mounting of the sill steps and ladders


The roller bearings were not original equipment

I recorded several images of the bracket for the uncoupling devices



The bell crank

Miner hand brake housing, wheel and brake step

I recorded several images of the end sill/car end bottom and grab with the end stringers visible. The unusual rivets on the bottom of the end are not original and I don't believe the stringers are either as I am fairly certain they were zee bars on original PS-1s, not the I-sections shown here.


Right lower end bracket grab iron

Slack adjustment mechanism on the dead lever

One reservoir mount, to a crosstie (zee bar)

and the other, to a crossbearer

Camel door stop

5 comments:

  1. I received the following comment directly to my email and thought it good to share here:
    These [rivets and end stringers], as well as the long side sill supplemental structure, and a few other details were part of the so-called "rebuild" work typically done at the Waterville Shops. It appears that most, if not all, MEC PS-1s in both early and later series were rebuilt to one degree or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted, The MEC actually bought a third batch in 1961, with 8' doors, series 8400-8549 lot 8615. This car is from that one.

    Rich Christie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ted, Forgot to tell you, Excellent shots, well executed! I found some confusion from the ORER's, could be renumberings as the 84xxx seems to actually be 6349-63xx. Needs further study on my end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, stumbled across the MEC and the BAR in Machias on 04 Sept 22. Also got great shots, and with your photos and info (thank you) I will have two excellent scratchbuilts! At some point. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, stumbled across the MEC and the BAR in Machias on 04 Sept 22. Also got great shots, and with your photos and info (thank you) I will have two excellent scratchbuilts! At some point. 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome!