Thursday, February 21, 2019

California Pacific Utilities Gas Company in Medford, Oregon


A little while back, I posted about some of the pieces of Medford, Oregon that I intend to replicate in my proto-freelanced town of Jefferson, Oregon. One of the industries I intend to add is the California Pacific Utilities Gas Company. The bit of the Sanborn Map containing it is shown here. I have been trying to trace the company history to no avail (I haven't tried that hard yet; my assumption is it was rolled into Pacific Gas & Electric at some point). 


While I have the ca. 1950-1951 Sanborn Map, I also have the 1956 aerial survey photo. A lot changed in those five years. The map and photo provide plenty of information for a very strong replica of this industry. One thing that has eluded me is knowing what tank car lines served this industry. In the absence of a definitive answer, I plan to go with a "market" solution involving many providers including Tidewater, Anchor, and Warren as well as some "generics" such as UTLX and SHPX.


The actual structure will be mostly scratchbuilt and combined with tanks from Walthers (they were discontinued for a time, but are currently available). In addition to the photos, I am referencing the article "Model a Propane Bulk Plant" by Paul Dolkos in the Model Railroader special issue, How to Build Realistic Layouts.

I hope to have this completed by the beginning of summer. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome!