Thursday, March 9, 2023

Update on Etchings from Presentation

 During my presentation at the latest Hindsight 20/20, I alluded to the fact that due to the shipping delays in receiving my test etchings due to the Royal Mail hack from late December, I could not inspect and assess what I had received. I spent a few more hours looking at some of the parts, and have a few photos to share.

The first photos are of the ladders for PFE R-40-25/-26 reefers. The primary difference between the two is the -25 class used traditional ladders with treads (rungs) riveted to the ladders stiles while the -26 used Wine-style ladders where the rungs had bends that fit into holes in the stiles, that once attached to the car held the rungs in place. What is displayed here is the -25 riveted style. Compare the prototype photo, above, to the etchings shown below. The sill steps were attached to a bracket that was also integral to the bottom of the ladder stiles, with the entire assembly attached to the bottom face of the side sill in two locations.




The next group of photos are of etchings for a Chicago and North Western PS-1 auto car. Common to all but the earliest PS-1s, that arrangement featured an integral ladder stile, sill step, and bracket attached to the bottom of the side sills, similar to the R-40-25 shown above. [the prototype photo below illustrates this arrangement on a Maine Central PS-1 box car]

There was an interim style of end ladder on PS-1s, with a "jog" in the lower portion of the right stile. Early PS-1s had straight stiles, while later ones had the same "jog," but with two wider bottom rungs, as opposed to one. [note: I could've done a better job bending the little jog to make it straight!]

The last parts I will highlight are two types if zee bars. Most PS-1s had crossmembers that were 4" zee bars. An etching to replicate that is shown in two views. The other simulates a 3" zee bar that will be used to replicate the stringers between the body bolsters and end sills. The photo illustrates the cross section. Etchings such as these have many applications as zee bars were quite common. Until I have more to report...



3 comments:

  1. Great stuff Ted. Just curious, what is the thinnest brass that you have used thus far? i am looking at some parts that I would like to do in 0.003", but I am wondering if they might be too flimsy (?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dave - I have only dome the 0.15mm which is a little thicker (if that word applies when it's that thin!). I suspect that the phosphor bronze would be solid enough, esp. once folded, giving some rigidity in two diff planar dimensions. I’ll be trying. I did find that once I used the UMM-USA bending tool I posted about in a diff blog post, it was much easier to fold things

      Delete
  2. Just watched this online several months after, great presentation, answered a lot of questions on this topic for me...

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome!