Thursday, September 26, 2019

Grain Belt Models Corrugated Pipe Load

CB&Q Collection, Newberry Library, University of Chicago
I have been meaning to complete this post since last winter. I have finally managed to get it completed. For years, I have been noodling that with the state of 3D printing technology, you could make a highly realistic corrugated pipe load. Well, I didn't do it, but Grain Belt Models has. They have released HO scale corrugated pipe in a variety of sizes. They are a great candidate for a load, as well as culvert pipes to be integrated into scenes.

FSA-OWI Collection, Library of Congress
They are offered in packs of several pipes (number dependent upon diameter,) in rigid clear plastic containers (I'd prefer something biodegradable). They are printed in a silvery-grey color that is not entirely unlike galvanized, corrugated pipe, but I will paint mine before adding to a car as a load. My target is a more shiny, bluish-sliver color like that of new galvanized metal.


If there is one nit, the thickness of the pipe is out of scale. However, that is necessary to preserve some strength. It's not grossly oversized and the benefits of actually having these pipes outweighs the slightly out of scale thickness.


They are available at the Iowa Scaled Engineering website. There are several sizes from which to choose. The ones I purchased were $5.00 for a 4-pack and I purchased 6 packs to make a load with 24 pipes.

I consolidated three packs (12 pipes) into one container, as shown here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome!