Sunday, June 26, 2022

Valley Fruit

 


I acquired this image of Valley Fruit in Pharr, Texas via ebay a couple years back. I have included a rather large scan here for the consideration of others. Given that I am replicating fruit packing operations, it provides me with lots of context and fodder for modeling. The date appears to be the late 1940s based upon the comments of Bill Badger (see in the comments section -- thank you Bill!) 

There are several details that stand out to me. First, the variety of vehicles, both in terms of types and ages, is interesting and worth noting when selecting vehicles to add to such a scene. I am also interested by the layout of the main packing structure. It appears that the then current loading dock was added after the main structure had already been in use, and was an add-on as operations grew. By main structure, I am referring to the facade with "VALLEY FRUIT CO." emblazoned in red as well as the rest of the structure behind that facade. The even newer addition at far right could be replicated as part of an even larger scale model operation (note that it appears that this business handled tomatoes and possibly other fruits and vegetables, as well.) 

The whole scene is worth consideration as a modeling subject for anyone needing such a facility on their layout. I suspect that the Walthers Valley Citrus Packers would be a good kit to use as a starting point to kitbash this, along with some scratchbuilding or kitbashing with other models. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Ted, the newest car or truck I can identify is from about 1948 and the oldest is the black Model A, so I would push the date back to the late 1940s. Bill Badger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valley Fruit Co. was/is in Pharr, Texas, and the building is being rehabbed. https://www.thc.texas.gov/valley-fruit-company-tax-credit-rehabilitation-project. Bill Badger

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm not mistaken, the signs on both buildings have neon (or argon) light tubes on the letters. While I was not immediately confident, once you zoom in a lot, you can see the dark marks indicating the wiring/connections for the tubes. What an interesting feature - and complicated modelling challenge. Taking a guess, I'd suggest 3D printed letters (with space for fibre optic light in back, use that as a master, cast in a clear resin, painted (leaving an exposed sliver for back light to emerge from), . . . LOL, lots of fun,

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome!