Thursday, June 23, 2022

Something Completely Different

At the beginning of the year, I began a new job with a French company (Back Market) and have had the good fortune to travel to France on a couple of occasions. I recently visited the Musée d'Orsay (wikipedia entry). You might ask why I would share that fact here. Well, the museum is a glorious old train station that was saved from demolition and converted to a museum housing a magnificat collection of works by some of the great masters of the Impressionist and post-Impressionist genres, including many well-known and a large number of lesser-known artists, including Monet, Manet, Toulouse-Lautrec, Pissarro, Renoir, Cézanne, Degas, Seurat, van Gogh, Gauguin, Rodin, and many others.


While I highly recommend visiting for no other reason than that the works are magnificent, seeing a beautiful and significant railroad structure preserved is another impetus. Below, I have also included snapshots of a couple railroad-themed works that caught my eye (FYI- "pont de chemin de fer" translates as "railroad bridge". I was particularly impressed with the work of Pissaro that was on display. If in Paris, I highly urge a visit. The museum is in the same part of the city as many of the other notable attractions. 

Photo through the glass clock in late afternoon

Le Pont du chemin de fer à Argenteuil, 1873-1874, Claude Monet

Pont du chemin de fer à Chatou (also Les Marroniers roses), 1881, Pierre Auguste Renoir

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome!