|All photos -- Newark, California, September, 1968, Jack Burgess photo, except where noted|
By the time of the Type 30 design (1928 through World War Two), GATC had settled on a single, center tank anchor, visible below the ladder and behind the running board, securing the tank to the underframe. This car was built in March, 1930. Note that it used only two tank bands, one located at each bolster. Also, note the fairly long dome step.
GATC designs traditionally eschewed side and end sills, unlike their American Car & Foundry counterparts (see below), in favor of simple supported running boards and a modest steel angle under the running boards at the ends, plus the steel angle spanning the corners of the running boards and angling down to pass under the draft gear, as shown here. Also, note the geared staff-style hand brake.
|Collection of Ted Culotta|
Contrast the GATC style end arrangement to the AC&F design shown here on a Type 27 tank car, with channel section end sills and side sill sections between the bolsters and the end sills.
This photo provides a great view of the trademark bolster with circular push pole depression on the angled face, as well as the route card board and air release rod, both at extreme left below the running board.
This photo by Jack affords an excellent view of the main brake components, including reservoirs, AB valve mounted directly above the reservoirs, and cylinder with its mounting arrangement clearly visible, as well as the ladder, a portion of the tank anchor, and the placard holder.