Monday, November 11, 2019

Benchwork!


I decided to post a couple photos that will serve as ground zero for my extremely modest apartment layout. I have benchwork in place! Yes, it's prefab and yes, there's not much to it. I have to make some embellishments and customizations. It is my hope that many of you will see what I have done and it will stir you to get started on something. What I am doing is quite modest, but it is better than the alternative and it gets me in the game. I will post more in the coming couple weeks about how I customize this setup. I am modeling a medium sized town. Absent secondary tracks, the mainline run through is approximately 160". Have to start somewhere, right?

Yes, that is a fine Spanish Tempranillo that you see...
Yes, for those of you with keen eyes, it is Ikea's Ivar shelving. However, I will be incorporating several customized wrinkles that should make interesting. Track plan coming, too.... stay tuned!

What you see so far are:
7 - 20" X 70" side frames
9 - 20" x 33" shelves
6 - 17" x 33" shelves
1 - 89" corner post
2 - 30" corner shelves (I will be adding one more, at least)

One of the many wrinkles that I will be incorporating is eliminating the posts between the top shelves so that I have a continuous unobstructed flat layout surface, as well as making a custom accommodation for lighting. Also, the top shelves are at about 50" which is a little high for some tastes, but I am tall...

P.S. I know I need a few shims and yes, I did think about putting adjustable levelers into the bottom of the legs. However, I am in an apartment and want to be sensitive to marking the floors, so it will be old school cedar shims for now.

2 comments:

  1. Higher is better. Avoiding a helicopter view makes any layout feel larger. Think I'm at around 55" and I'm 5'11". From memory you are taller than me. I would suggest going higher, if possible. Fremo USA over here in Europe uses 130cm (just over 51") as the height to railhead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted: cut some 4" x 4" pieces of plywood. Glue scraps of carpet to the underside. Put those under your levelers. My father was a carpenter, old school indeed. Apprenticed in 1911. He used them, and they seemed to work.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome!